Wednesday, July 9, 2008

Inconsistencies

There are so many inconsistencies in life and in teaching.  There's a huge green movement, yet we buy water bottles, drive gas guzzling cars and throw many things away.  The state issues standards for education but doesn't allow for the means to meet those standards.  Schools mandate policies without input from teachers.  I want my students to be able to think for themselves and transfer knowledge to new areas, yet I sabotage my intended outcome by explaining every detail, not really scaffolding so students work towards self-sufficiency.  It's so much easier to get upset by inconsistencies I don't create.  It makes me pause, think, and sheepishly admit I help perpetuate this sea of inconsistencies.  


So, what can I do?  Be thoughtful and honest.  What am I really doing in the classroom?  What are my intended results?  Does reality even come close to this vision?  If not, what changes will I make so my intentions match my practice?  
Before I happily denounce  inconsistencies generated by others, I need to look in the mirror.  

No comments:


Cross-stitch stars will be made into Christmas ornaments. Design is from an old Norwegian pattern.