Sunday, October 26, 2008

Who is the leader?


I'm studying to be a teacher leader. I'm uncomfortable with the notion that, as a leader, I am "more" or "better" or have more knowledge than others. Lieberman and Miller (2004) write about leadership being a culture instead of a person. I love this idea. Leadership is a collection of activities promoting positive change, collegiality, collaboration, support and encouragement in which a fluid group of people participate. This idea seems so supportive and freeing - everything doesn't rest on one person's shoulders, group members share responsibility for the leadership culture. I want to embrace this, yet I wonder if it is feasible in my school situation and what conditions need to be in place to better the chance for success. Any ideas?

Lieberman, A. & Miller, L. (2004). Teacher Leadership. San Francisco: Jossey-Bass.

No comments:


Cross-stitch stars will be made into Christmas ornaments. Design is from an old Norwegian pattern.